About North Georgia

North Georgia College & State University (NGCSU) is a four-year public university located in Dahlonega, Lumpkin County, Georgia. Founded as North Georgia Agricultural College in 1873, it is the second oldest co-educational institution in the state. NGCSU is renowned for its ROTC and is designated as The Military College of Georgia and The Leadership Institution of Georgia. It is one of six senior military colleges in the United States.

The institution was founded as an agricultural branch of the University of Georgia in 1873, which was made possible by the Morrill Act and the efforts of William Pierce Price. Its first graduating class in 1879 consisted of 3 young men and a young woman, making it the first college in the state to award a degree to a woman. In 1929, its agriculture program was dropped and the name was changed to North Georgia College. The school received the designation of state university in 1996. Protesting alumni were successful in keeping the word college in the name after they became upset when the name North Georgia State University was suggested.

NGCSU’s campus is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains just south of the terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Campus buildings are located around the drill field which is used by the military for drill and training, recreation for students and intramural sports. As a sign of respect students do not take short cuts across the field from the dorms and barracks to the academic buildings. The main administrative building, Price Memorial Hall, is named in honor of founder William Pierce Price. It is built on the foundations of the mint that was established in Dahlonega during the gold rush. Its spire was gold leafed in 1973 from local gold as was the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta. The university consists of 4 colleges and awards over 50 degrees. It is known for its teacher education, nursing, pre-med, and military programs.

(Source: Wikipedia)

 

Photo Credit: Jack Anthony

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version